Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Re: You keep making up pathetic excuses . . .

Posted By: J242 (131.107.0.75)
Date: Wednesday, 12 September 2007, at 11:24 a.m.

In Response To: You keep making up pathetic excuses . . . (Intellect Inside)

: Nice hypocrisy. You poo-poo away Crosis' use of dictionary definitions, then
: use the same tactic yourself.

Yes, I did because he chose to use a definition and that usage was apparently accepted. While I do not necessarily agree with standard definitions as having much merit when it comes to the PR world. I used a definition of an example just to show that you can have have definitions for and against the same terms. So sorry you weren't able to figure that out for yourself.

: You know, I was actually thinking as I wrote that post that I should use an
: analogy to show you what is meant when we say something
: "supports" something else, but I decided not to be
: condescending. Man, was that a bad call. You obviously need to have it
: explained to you painstakingly, as you have a child's mind. So, here it
: goes...

A child's mind eh? Can you ever speak without falling down to insulting someone who disagrees with you? You say you "decided not to be condescending" yet I have not seen a a single instance of you supporting that claim in this entire conversation.

: Dithering thousands of colors does not produce millions. NeXT never claimed
: that the NeXTStation TurboColor supported millions of colors: they
: honestly advertised it as a 12-bit color system that uses dithering. Apple
: are lying when they say the displays of the MacBooks and iMac 20"
: support millions of colors.

The claim is indeed false and as I've said before, I hope they fix it but in a legal case, they would win by challenging the definition and their usage of the term "support". It's definitely lame of them to have done this and there's no argument there but I think that ultimately any actual fault still rests on the user for purchasing before confirming. You get what you pay for is a good old addage and unfortunately in this case, the lowering cost for larger screens, more memory and functions means that they are trimming prices down somewhere in order to keep the same costs with their ridiculous margins intact.

: No, it does not fall in line with that claim. The claim is made under the
: specs for the DISPLAY, not the specs for the GRAPHICS SUBSYSTEM. Now just
: who's uninformed here? Apple are claiming the DISPLAYS on the iMac and
: MacBook support millions of colors. They do no such thing.

Actually on their macbook pro specs page, they list the video and graphics system as being directly capable of the "millions" claim, (Which goes toward the external moniter providing their backup for the claim) but the screen is the one with the "support for".

Display specs:
"15.4-inch (diagonal) TFT LED backlit display with support for millions of colors; optional glossy widescreen display"

Video card specs:
"Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

They state the graphics system directly produces the millions of colors but there is "support" for said millions on the displays. They will probably go through any legal issues relying on the option that an external monitor capable of truly displaying said millions would.

: Yeah, I should have gone to the store, taken an iMac apart (they would have
: loved that) to get at the serial number of the LCD panel, and spent who
: knows how much time on the phone with the manufacturer trying to get
: someone who knows wether it's 18-bit or 24-bit.

No, you should have gone into the Apple store, viewed content on it, see how it performs and get a feel for how everything is going. Knowing already that this was a problem in other models like the MBP it would seem to be a good practice to find out if they were continuing with this lousy trend.

: Sure...I should have to go
: through all that to make sure Apple aren't a bunch of liars. I shouldn't
: be able to trust the tech specs on Apple's site.

You're the one overexaggerating this to the point of taking apart the computer to check it's serial number on the LCD and whatnot. Look, if you go to buy a car, do you not test drive it first? If you go to buy a TV, do you not watch a demo on it first and maybe read up on it's support or longevity from other users first? If you want to see a movie, do you not watch the preview trailer first? I'm sorry if I'm alone in that I like to demo and test equipment before I purchase it to make sure it is what I want to buy. Why is that unrealistic or out of line to expect?

I like Apple as a company overall, I tend to really like their products but as much as I would like to believe that they could do no wrong and only had us, the consumer public, in mind I am not so naive as to actually trust that to be true. No matter what company or product it may be.

: They will lose in court, you can count on that. They are crooks.

We'll see. I rather doubt that they will but only time will tell.

: Right: I really should stop picking on you. It's not your fault you have a
: perverse attraction to Steve Jobs. I'm sorry.

Again you go with these silly and pointless cracks. Maybe you should look up the definition of "projection" in psychological terms.

Password:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.