Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Re: I know you're smoking something . . .

Posted By: Lord Crosis (209.112.217.128)
Date: Sunday, 9 September 2007, at 12:45 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I know you're smoking something . . . (J242)

: Now, if the "and in response Apple went to work on it." bit had
: been part of my statement you might have some point. One simple question
: would have clarified this but instead you and JT both have apparently
: decided to assume otherwise and keep going from that. Whatever, to each
: their own but that wasn't the intent so get over it. I guess I'll just
: have to further spell out every single thought that I have to ensure that
: you and he do not in any way possible misunderstand exactly what it is I
: am trying to convey...

A good practice in general. Lots of things are implied by the way something is stated. It's important to understand what you are implying, not just what you are literally saying.

: of support, maintenence, warranty (There happy? lol) work, etc (which are

I'd be happier if you had spelled "maintenance" correctly. :)

We've already discussed the hell out of the OSX86 topic, and always had to agree to disagree. Suffice to say that I do agree with the statement that it will not likely happen over the next couple of years, as unfortunate I might consider that to be, both for Apple, and for the marketplace.

: Final Cut Studio is including...

Completely irrelevant to my point.

: That's part of my point, you can't expect a large company to listen to almost
: anything you say.

Actually large companies would give almost anything to be able to hear and glean insight from what the public says. Most large companies hire people and/or companies to research what their customers (or potential customers) have to say. Believe-it-or-not this often includes reading what people say on public forums.

: Well, he's bringing up specific issues that are shared across the entire
: industry and voicing them as if Apple is the only troublemaker. That's
: hardly a fair debate.

When Apple does something wrong, it's perfectly fine to point a finger and say "shame on you", regardless of whether or not anyone else is doing it. And what better place to do it than in a forum intended for the discussion of Apple products. Apple and Nintendo are my two favorite companies. I generally appreciate their corporate philosophies, and I really like most of their products and their directions for the future. But any time I see one of them do something wrong or stupid, even if others are doing the same thing, I am disappointed... and I just might bitch about it a little.

: Of course, silly me. I forgot that we have SJ and his design team coming in
: and researching our complaints on a regular basis. Boy, bitching about it
: here is really gong to make them change their minds isn't it!

That's actually how it works. Not that Steve himself necessarily reads this particular site every day, but lots of people do, and what we say here may affect someone's thinking on a topic... Which they will take with them elsewhere, and will discuss elsewhere, and eventually "what people are saying" definitely makes it back to Apple. As much as people value their individuality, we are somewhat of a collective. The only way to affect the thoughts of the collective, or to bring clarity to them, is to discuss them.

: When was the last iMac AD you saw that ADVERTISED it had millions of colors?
: It's listed under the display's tech specs and I think it's BS that they
: are doing it to. However, I'm quite sure their overpaid lawyers have found
: it not to violate any laws and as such we are kind of screwed on that.

Anything a company says about it's products is subject to false advertising laws. Whether or not Apple's lawyers will be able to pull their collective ass out of this one is yet to be seen. I hope they fail. This is bullshit, and I want a new screen.

: Oh well, Just means I'm far less likely to buy one and unlike JT I simply
: don't recommend products until I've gotten my mitts on them in the first
: place as I understand that ANY company can come out with a diamond or a
: lemon.

Well, the only computer I've bought from Apple in the last 8 or so years is a MacBook Pro. If my mom comes to me looking for a computer recommendation, that's not the one I'm going to tell her she should get. And in fact, when she came to me about a year and a half ago, I recommended she get a Mac Mini. Even though I've never owned one. It was a good recommendation. I'm not sure I could have lived with myself (or I would have been horribly unsuccessful) as a sales person if I had your philosophy. If I know enough about a company in general, have broad experience with their products, and have read and understand the technical specifications of the product, I will be comfortable recommending or not recommending a product.

: So, again, maybe I just haven't seen the same television, internet
: or print ads you have. Where has apple tried to entice customers by basing
: their marketing around "millions" of colors in their displays?
: The only place I've even seen that stated is in the tech specs which
: aren't really an "advertisement" in the first place.

They advertised it right here: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

: Again, how was it advertised to you? If you can, show me a paid-for
: advertisement showing apple trying to gather attention to their products
: by selling the concept of "millions of colors" on the displays
: then I can be on the same page with you. Otherwise, you are blurring the
: line between specs and ads and they are two ENTIRELY different things. A
: specs sheet is NOT an advertisement no matter how hard you try to justify
: it as such unless they show it in a media format in order to specifically
: highlight them. Web? Nope, you have to clcik extra times to get to the
: specs, TV? Nope, they just show the product and have some music,
: occasionally a stupid voice saying something like "Mmmm did somebody
: say sushi?" or two dorks in akward situations. So print media is the
: only place I can think of on this...

Anything claim a company makes about its product is advertising. If you want the definitive source on the definition of "Advertise" I would refer you to the Oxford English Dictionary (which is the definitive source):

advertise, v.
1. intr. To take note, give heed, consider. Const. to, of, inf., or subord. clause. Obs.
2. trans. To take note of, attend to, notice, observe (a thing). Obs.
3. refl. To turn one's attention to. (OFr. s'avertir). Obs.
4. trans. To call the attention of (another); to give him notice, to notify, admonish, warn, or inform, in a formal or impressive manner. (mod.Fr. avertir.) a. simply. arch.

b. with inf. To warn, admonish. Obs.

c. with of, concerning (against rare and obs.).

d. with subord. clause. To notify, inform.
5. Hence (by omission of the personal object), To give notice of (anything), to notify, indicate, or make generally known.
6. esp. To give public notice of, to make publicly known, or call attention to, by a published announcement in a journal, by a circular, etc., as ‘to advertise the resolutions of a meeting’; and with various elliptical constructions, as ‘to advertise goods (for sale), a child or ring (as lost),’ etc.
7. intr. To give warning or information (of). Obs. in general sense.
b. esp. To put a public notice in a journal, or to announce by placard in any public place. to advertise for: to ask for by public notice.

-=(Lord Crosis)=-

Password:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.