Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

And let the era of Apple listening to their user base begin!

Posted By: J242 (76.22.80.189)
Date: Wednesday, 5 September 2007, at 11:04 p.m.

In Response To: Let the fleecing of iPhone users begin . . . (Intellect Inside)

: Ever wonder why the iPhone, which is also an iPod, won't allow the user to
: select any audio file on his iPhone for use as a ringtone? It's because,
: as I suspected, Apple wants to fleece iPhone users...

Ever wonder why Apple releases a product and then several months later releases an updated version? See, the majority of people stuck in the WinBlows quagmire have to wait years between product updates yet Apple does it a little more frequently. (Although not as frequently as many of us might like) However with the most recent announcement, bitching about $1 a ringtone seems simply rediculous compared to how they potentially canabalized their own sales by releasing what many people wanted. An iPhone witout the phone part attached and more memory.

Bitch all you want but I honestly believe that this is a prime example of Apple paying attention to their user base and filling the demand that they requested/wished for/(or in your type of case) demanded...

They just cut into their own profits by making the iPod "touch" available to the masses as well as cut the costs on their premium haheld offerring. How are you going to spin this to be a bullshit move JT?

: Apple during its media event next Wednesday plans to unveil a new ringtone
: service that will allow iPhone users to turn almost any song sold through
: iTunes into a ringtone for an additional fee, according to the NY Post.

And? You seem to think that cell providers don't do this on a regular basis. Ever seen MTV before? They charge users anywhere between 3 and 8 dollars a month simply to have a GRAPHIC as their phone's background and people are willing to pay for it. If there's a market, someone will exploit it. End of story. I honestly have no hard feelings on apple trying to gain more cash along SIMILAR (read, not the same in any way, just somewhat related) lines. Also, what cell service do you use JT? See, my three cell phones (all JUST for calls only, not data enabled and the one data enabled device I do own doesn't even have a way for me to change the ringtones in the first place!) don't even give me the option for a customized ringtone and multiple companies charge monthly fees for such services. To simply charge a one-time fee of $.99 for that is a deal for the consumers as the majority who take songs and have them played as ringtones do so on a monthly subscription basis. The moment they stop paying, the music stops playing. Buy it once, use it forever. Not a bad deal at all. In fact it's a damned good deal compared to the current crop of phones that support this feature.

I tell you what, find me 10 common phones that have a decent market share that allow users to select any audio file of their choice as their ring tone and then let's compare their market saturation, cost and support.

I'm not trying to be some rediculous "Apple Apologist" like you so inanely claim all the time, I'm talking about reality in the metropolitan markets of our country and the rest of the world. We have FAR more access to services than you could ever dream of and the majority try to milk everything they can out of a user and always include a monthly fee so that whatever you purchase is unusable once you stop paying the monthly fees.

: Nothing says "we despise our customers" like double-charging. Apple
: neuters the iPhone of its inherent capabilities, then charges fees to
: re-endow it. Fuckers!

No, nothing says "We despise our customers" like not investing in new technologies and only skimming by with antiquated bullshit then renaming it and charging $100 more for it! Nothing lives up to your quote like the overwhelming majority of other manufacturers and providers who rely on 3rd party vendors to supply services their customers paid for initially. Again, you call me an Apple apologist so often but I think you need to open your eyes to the reality of the market, especially in the case of cell phones. What do you get in your neck of the woods anyways? Sprint, AT&T, MAYBE Verizon? I doubt T-mobile or Alltel or Qwest... You probably have a handful of local providers which offer even more limited functions due to a lack of GSM/GPRS towers on the eastern seaboard and thus aren't exposed to the same marketing schemes as regularly as many others.

To sum it up, the providers are ALWAYS looking to get richer off their customers and they carry MUCH loftier fees than Apple is doing with a simple $.99 for a ringtone. Yes, there are some phones out there that allow users to select an audio file of choice as their ring tone, but they are nowhere near as common as you seem to think they are.

Password:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.