Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Re: Oh, and . . .

Posted By: Zach (24.249.152.11)
Date: Monday, 12 November 2007, at 2:55 p.m.

In Response To: Oh, and . . . (Zach)

So, I don't think anyone is dying for an update on this, but I'm bored at work (well not bored, but procrastinating) so . . .

Basically I got dicked on the mobo. In a nutshell, no matter what I did, the QS 2002 mobo would give a single POST beep when I tried to boot. This indicates no RAM installed. But I had RAM installed. Compatible RAM. Tested, compatible RAM. I tried different slots, even incompatible (PC-100) RAM. Same thing. If something were wrong with my RAM, I should get 2 or 3 beeps (incompatible or no pass). Meanwhile I'm emailing the eBay seller and he swears it came from a working G4 machine and thinks its my RAM. To go the extra mile (and because I wasn't 100% sure (probably like 98% though)) I bought a new CPU from OWC that is known to be compatible with QS models. Just in case mine wasn't (but I'm pretty sure it is). I figured I'd only be out the shipping costs since they have a 100% money back guarantee. Got the new CPU, same thing, one beep. The seller told me to send it back so he could test it. I have a sneaky suspicion he will claim it works fine. At this point, I don't even want a replacement, I just want my money back. That still leaves me with a QS power supply to get rid of. Know anyone who needs one? Oh and I returned the CPU to OWC. They tried to charge me a restocking fee of 15% as per their terms and agreement. I pointed out that their advertised 100% money back guarantee is then in fact an 85% money back guarantee and they said they'd give me all my money back.

SOOOOOO, in all this I realized what I should have done. Get a new GPU that supports Core Image/Animation (my Xbench UI scores are pathetic with software Core I/A) and a PCI ATA controller with big disk support. Those are both on their way. I picked up a Radeon 9700 Pro on eBay. Why not the 9800? $50 cheaper and clock for clock, the performance isn't that much better for the 9800: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ4 Granted the 9800 would be clocked higher, but I'm expecting that the change from software (read CPU) Core Image/Animation to hardware accelerated will be pretty huge. I'll let you all know . . .

: I forgot to mention (in case anyone cares) that I've been running a JBOD
: array b/c the GigE MB doesn't support >128GB drives and I've got a lot
: of shit on this machine. The JBOD array kills disk performance. Drops the
: XBench disk benchmark by 40%. Ouch. The QS2002 supposedly supports big
: drives, so that ought to be a nice boost as well.

Password:

Messages In This Thread

• Serious DIY question
    Zach (24.249.152.11) -- Monday, 8 October 2007, at 8:29 a.m.
    • The solution
      Zach (72.205.193.193) -- Wednesday, 10 October 2007, at 5:53 p.m.
      • Oh, and . . .
        Zach (72.205.193.193) -- Thursday, 11 October 2007, at 4:08 p.m.
        • Re: Oh, and . . .
          Zach (24.249.152.11) -- Monday, 12 November 2007, at 2:55 p.m.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.