Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Serious DIY question

Posted By: Zach (24.249.152.11)
Date: Monday, 8 October 2007, at 8:29 a.m.

So the G4 I built many years ago (which is how I started frequenting this site) is really beginning to drag too much for me. I can't watch any h.264 in full screen without serious stuttering, iPhoto manipulations are slow . . . basically everything happens a little too slow for me now. My longerish term solution is to get a new 24" iMac, but I'm waiting for the next revision. Never go with the first rev. of a new/revamped Apple product is a lesson I've learned more than once. (for the same reason I'm holding off on a new iPod since mine barely holds all my shit anymore). I figure that 2nd rev may come around Christmas time, but I'm really getting impatient with my machine. I built it and I love it but it slowing me down. I have a 1.4 GHz CPU in it, I could upgrade that again, but for the $$ it's not going to do much, I'm still stuck on a 100 MHz FSB. It's got a decent GPU as well (Radeon 9000 I think) which could also be upgraded, but I don't think it'll resolve the issues. I've thought about getting a mini, but by the time I upgrade it to what I want, I'm 1/2 way to buying an iMac.

In the interim, I think I may try to get by w/ just my MBP C2D, connecting it to my big display, it's just going to be a hassle migrating everything from the G4 since I have a ton of duplicate documents and applications (PPC vs. Intel vs. Universal). I'll probably just use the migration asst. and then clean things up/ update as needed.

Now to my actual question: Have any of you ever come across instructions for overclocking the FSB on a G4 (GigE)? If I could o.c. it to 133, that's a 33% increase in the whole system. I realize it's risky as hell, but if I have my MBP doing double duty what would I do with this old machine anyway? I could part-it and sell them on eBay. Maybe get a few $100. Maybe. But if I cold successfully o.c. the FSB, it may actually become useable again.

Password:

Messages In This Thread

• Serious DIY question
    Zach (24.249.152.11) -- Monday, 8 October 2007, at 8:29 a.m.
    • The solution
      Zach (72.205.193.193) -- Wednesday, 10 October 2007, at 5:53 p.m.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.