Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Re: Woah, just saw 300 at Cinerama!

Posted By: J242 (131.107.0.75)
Date: Monday, 19 March 2007, at 1:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Woah, just saw 300 at Cinerama! (Zach)

: That's what I thought when I first saw the previews. However, before seeing
: the movie, I saw an interview with Frank Miller about that and he said
: that the Persians, the wolves, elephants, etc are monsters to the Spartans
: and so they are portrayed as monsters in the movie. Could have been some
: Hollywood BS to cover up that they just wanted to add some Lord of the
: Rings sci-fi/fantasy element to the story, but I thought it was a
: reasonable enough explanation so that I could suspend disbelief and not be
: too distracted by it.

Also, you have to remember that the film and the graphic novel both were both the "tale" that one survivor tells to his people to get them to go to war and the troops to get them amped up before the main battle. He spins it into the realm of the fabulous and epic when the reality was likely much simpler and more realistic. Think of "Little Red Riding Hood" and any number of Grimm's brothers tales that were simple originally and then spun wildly into cartoons that hardly resembled the original tales they were so loosely based on. Like in 300 when they call the army "millions" when it was tens of thousands. Still a massive force there's no doubt, but which holds more "power" in the scape of things?

Kind of like when the right wing tries to say that there were only a few thousand protests against the current BS, when it was truly in the millions... You know the Persians (if the tale were told from their perspective) would have themselves portrayed as meek, humble and trying to make peace yet the spartans would be described at length as giant, bloodthirsty monsters who towered over the mountian ridge the fought in. ;) It's all a matter of who's telling the tale.

Password:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.