Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Re: Wii questions for Crosis

Posted By: Lord Crosis (209.112.186.41)
Date: Tuesday, 12 December 2006, at 6:37 p.m.

In Response To: Wii questions for Crosis (Zach)

: 1) Do you feel retarded swinging the remote around like a sword?

Well, in Zelda it doesn't actually map your movements directly to Link's sword, as in if you swing right that's not necessarily what Link does, so it very quickly becomes a sort of flick of the wrist. It becomes almost like pressing another button on the controller, but without as much thought as to what button you are pressing. It becomes fairly second nature, and the only time you feel retarded is when you are in an intense battle and your madly swinging both the Wiimote and the Nunchuck (both are used for different sword attacks) just trying to get a hit off.

Wii Sports and Excite Truck, on the other hand, have you wondering if you might just be a bit retarded and yer momma was just too nice to tell you. Wii Tennis is actually a bit of a workout. Even though you theoretically could just flick your wrist to control it, it doesn't feel right and you actually don't seem to play as well. My arm is sore from the drunken Wii Tennis last night. Man, it will be so much better when I get my hands on another controller and my Bro and I don't have to play everything "life or level."

: 2) Where are the SD and GC controller ports?

J242 nailed it on the SD card slot, it's right under (or if you have it standing up as I do, to the left of) the drive slot. The GC controller ports (and GC Memory slots) are hidden under a door on the top (if you have the unit in the stand as I do), and video, power and USB are on the back of the unit.

: 3) Have you tried any GC games on it yet? If so, is the backwards
: compatibility good? I'm particularly interested in being able to play RE4
: with my GC controller on the Wii so I don't have to keep the GC hooked up.

Ya know, I haven't. I should. From everything I've read it's flawless, but I've been so busy with Wii Sports, Zelda, Excite Truck, Final Fantasy XII, not to mention the fact that's finals week. I'll try out RE4 for at least a few minutes tonight and get back to you.

: 4) Have you tried the virtual console? How about the WiFi connection, does it
: have WPA? (The DS doesn't and that blows)

I own all of the games that interest me on the virtual console (on their original platforms), and being unemployed can't make myself part with the cash right now just for testing's sake. The WiFi connection gave me some fits because I have my apartment set up using 3 routers and Wireless Distribution System (WDS). The way WDS is supposed to work is that all the routers have the same SSID, they all act as one network, and your computer just uses whichever it is getting the strongest signal from. Well my Wii saw each router individually and yet wouldn't connect to any of them (it really only should have seen them all as one and then connected to all of them). So I changed the SSID on one of my routers. They are still acting as one network, just that one isn't part of the same "pool" of routers for my computer to choose from, if I want to use it I have to select it manually in the airport menu. It does support WPA, though I don't use it, I just use WEP. I'm sure that's insecure as shit, but I don't really care.

: 5) Any idea how long the batteries last in the Wiimote?

According to my Wii I have played for 86 hours and 44 minutes (in one week!?!), and the two AA Maxell batteries that came with it are on their last bar according to the Wii's on-screen indicator. Now I know that a large portion of that total was the Wii staying on pause while I was asleep or out of the house, just because I couldn't be bothered to turn it off, and I'm not sure how much is drained from the Wiimote batteries when the system is on but you aren't doing anything. If it consumes full power during such instances then I would be really impressed with the battery life and remind myself that I really need to turn the system off when I'm not using it. If what I expect is the case (that it goes into some sort of sleep mode during inactivity) then I would say the battery life is merely adequate.

: 6) Have you had trouble holding on to the Wiimote and thrown it through your
: TV yet? Or are all those stories over hyped?

I haven't had any trouble holding on to the Wiimote, though your hands tend to sweat a lot while holding it, so I can see how it might be possible. I still really think you'd have to be overdoing it to accidentally throw the Wiimote.

: I'll probably think of a shitload more questions real soon. (No DVD payback, right?)

Keep 'em coming. I hadn't tried it since it isn't even supposed to play DVD's, but I just tried it and it said that the disc was unreadable. I believe it is a standard DVD drive, so it's probably something that could be added in software later, I think Nintendo didn't want to pay the licensing for the MPEG-2 decoder.

If there is anything else you want me to try, let me know.

-=(Lord Crosis)=-

Password:

Messages In This Thread

• Wii questions for Crosis
    Zach (24.249.152.11) -- Tuesday, 12 December 2006, at 3:20 p.m.
    • Here ya go. *PIC*
      J242 (71.231.203.254) -- Tuesday, 12 December 2006, at 4:43 p.m.
      • Thanks! *NM*
        Zach (68.6.94.66) -- Tuesday, 12 December 2006, at 7:16 p.m.
    • Re: Wii questions for Crosis
      Lord Crosis (209.112.186.41) -- Tuesday, 12 December 2006, at 6:37 p.m.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.