Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

New Apple Pro-Keyboard w/ iPod dock coming soon?

Posted By: J242 (71.231.203.254)
Date: Friday, 1 December 2006, at 9:53 p.m.

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't thought of this idea myself earlier. Apparently (according to a variety of rumor sites) Apple's next pro keyboard will have an iPod "dock" interface built in. Man, what a great idea!!!

Now, as for my quetions on the idea...

1.) Power. If Apple were to put an iPod dock into it's keyboards, would they be requiring two USB plugs for the keyboard? (1 for data, 1 for power like my current USB 2 hub does) Would they need a seperate plug for the dock functionality as an optional plug-in?

2.) If this were to come out, could we order keyboards based on the docking profile? ie: Shuffle, Nano, Video, upcoming iPhone, etc? OR, are we going to have to deal with the same "adapter" irritation that currently happens with some 3rd party additions like the JBL jukebox I use? (Unfortunately, it doesn't have an adaptor that fits the 1st gen nano so it's always off to a side and occasionally tips out of alignment and I have to restore the little fucker... grrr.... )

3.) Could this be a sign that Apple is truly planning the (considered by some, myself included, to be the holy grail of technology) "newton 2.0/iPhone"? My ONLY reason for this (admittedly rampant) speculation is that Apple announced the (currently labeled) "iTV" before it was ready to release. If they wanted to prove that it was easier to use and work with, what better way than build it into the hardware? Think about it. Most people already know and love the iPod. Imagine the "halo effect" of the iPod except with every hardware purchase (including mac minis) you get a docking station as well as all of your ports. That could be a potential PR GOLDMINE!!!

From my own perspective: I bought my fiancee (who's always been afraid of technology and breaking things so she never even look sat 1/100th the cool new tech I try to show her that I think she could dig) a 1st gen 1gig nano about 7 months ago. She loves it. She can't imagine living without it anymore. I'm truly almost frightened by how much she has glommed onto it and lives her life by it and since we've been taking road trips to other states and even just across town I've been kicking myself for not getting her a higher capacity model. (Man, if I have to listen to that damned Panic At The Disco! song ONE MORE TIME!!! lol...) Now, at home I have a USB 2 keyboard and DVD Burner that I use. Well, that's my 2 USB ports on my current mini. So, if I want to use my system I have to sacrifice one of the two in order to plug in my keyboard (and then by extension my mouse) so I have but one port available. Well, I could go to a hub with it's own external power supply and then run that along the crow's nest of cabling that is my office and MAYBE find a port open to plug it into but that's hardly convenient! Every time she wants her iPod updated with new music or whatnot, I have to rearrange my cables and it's a pain in the ass.

Now, enter Apple: So, adding it into the keyboard would make sense on a practical level to me, but I'm still unsure how they'de achieve it. If they took two USB 2 ports and gave 4 ports ont eh back of the keyboard, I'd be ecstatic and would have to buy it ASAP. Man, that would simplify my life enough to justify the cost, hands down...

I know this has been a bit of a rant but I'm claiming the MacOpz staff rule on this one,... hehehehe, any thoughts anyone?

Password:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.