Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

This is pretty cool for amateur photographers *PIC*

Posted By: Zach (70.181.155.241)
Date: Friday, 31 July 2009, at 1:16 p.m.

$60 is a pretty hefty premium to pay nowadays for a 2GB memory card, but this one might just be worth it. I decided to roll the dice on it, because I'm really bad about uploading photos from my camera to my Mac. About once every 3 or 4 months, I have a lot of photos to sort through and organize then. If you aren't familiar w/ the Eye-fil cards they wirelessly transfer your photos to your computer, so you never have to connect your camera or remove the card. this one has a little something extra which convinced me to try it (vide infra).

First, I was surprised that it came with a card reader, which is good because mine can be flaky. So that's like $10 right there. Setup was pretty easy. I had to start an Eye-Fi account but so far they aren't mailing me shit everyday so that's a plus. Connecting the card to my network is the one con I have so far. It's not a big deal, but I couldn't get it to work until I turned SSID broadcasting on for my router. Once connected, it still worked when I turned SSID broadcasting back off, so no permanent problem anyway.

i had to change the default settings to go directly to iPhoto rather than a folder on my Mac. When you take a picture, the file gets sent within maybe 20 seconds and you get a little downloading thumbnail in the upper right hand corner of the screen. iPhoto doesn't actually import any photos until you launch it the next time (or I suppose if it were still open). This is good though, i wouldn't want it launching automatically all the time. What's even cooler is you can set it up to relay the photos back to your machine. So if your computer is off, the photos upload to temporary storage on the Eye-fi servers and when your machine is up and running again, they transfer from the server. This is a free service, BTW. Not sure how much storage they will allot to you though. I also don't know if it will transfer over any open wifi it finds or if it has to be programmed into your card. I suppose I'll know eventually.

Now for the really cool part which is how I justified the purchase. It automatically geo-tags your photos by triangulating it's position from wifi networks around. Obviously this will not work if there are no wifi networks, so in the wilderness you're out of luck. But it seems to work pretty well. And it doesn't need open networks to figure out the location. Pretty cool technology. I haven't tried it in more than a couple locations so far, so maybe I've just been lucky. But so far the whole experience is better than I thought it would be.

Eye-Fi Geo

Password:

Messages In This Thread

• This is pretty cool for amateur photographers *PIC*
    Zach (70.181.155.241) -- Friday, 31 July 2009, at 1:16 p.m.
    • Good to hear!
      J242 (68.209.82.111) -- Friday, 31 July 2009, at 2:55 p.m.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.