Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Snow Leopard?

Posted By: Zach (72.214.247.148)
Date: Wednesday, 4 June 2008, at 3:41 p.m.

Latest rumors say that OS 10.6 will be code named "Snow Leopard" and be mainly a performance/security enhancement without any major new features. It will drop PPC support and be cocoa only. And it could be ready by early 2009.

Obviously, rumors can be way off or completely fabricated. However, pretend it's all true: At first, I thought this was several bad moves on Apple's part. I'd like to see continued PPC support, since it's entirely possible (maybe not plausible) that the PPC architecture could see a resurgence and begin to outperform x86. I like the idea that they could throw in PPC chips if they needed to and shit would just continue to work. (I'd also like to see a reversed version of rosetta for just such a situation, should it ever be necessary.) However, supporting both architectures obviously bloats the OS and probably keeps it from being completely optimized.

A similar argument could be made for the carbon vs. cocoa scenario (although from what little I know of carbon, it will never be better than cocoa). Basically, continued carbon support might bloat the OS and inhibit faster performance.

My thinking is, if this rumor is true, 10.6 will be some optional upgrade or add-on to 10.5, probably at a lower price point. It would allow you to get much better performance by dropping support for legacy features. Basically a stream-lined version of 10.5. I think the code name supports this theory. 10.5 would do everything 10.6 will do, but not as quickly. 10.6 will do anything 10.5 can do that is x86 cocoa only, and do it really fast.

I'd guess then that they'd probably skip the rest of the 10.x's and move on to OS 11 or something from there.

This is just wild speculation on my part, clearly, but I wanted to share my thoughts. And on the way-outside chance that I'm even close to something here, when it happens I'm totally gonna have a huge "told you so" post!

Password:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.