Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Just in case any of you are as demented as I...

Posted By: Lord Crosis (209.112.219.155)
Date: Saturday, 1 March 2008, at 4:51 p.m.

I'm taking a class on Computer Organization and Design (which includes quite a bit of assembly programming). I've been a bit irritated that the publisher does not seem to provide solutions (neither with the book or in a separate solutions manual) to the problems it offers at the end of each chapter.

I can sort of understand the attitude there, since a lot of the time students misuse the solutions manual and mistakenly think that since they have seen and understood the solution they'll be able to work a similar problem on a test. I am not that person, but apparently avoiding this was essential in the author's eyes.

Unfortunately that means that most of the problems I attempt I get done with and go, "That all seems correct to me. Gosh I wish I had a way to check myself."

So, finally after about 3 chapters of being unsure of myself because I couldn't check my answers, I jumped online to look for maybe an unofficial solutions manual, a forum where many of the questions were answered... something.

I found a website called Cramster that has solutions to tons of textbooks, and answer board where you can usually ask questions and someone in their community answers. Free members get odd-problem solutions and 1 question per day on the answer board. Paid members get even-problem solutions as well, and the ability to post an unlimited number of questions a day. Cool. Solved my problem. And gained an addiction.

I popped on to the answer board, and specifically noted their math section (I'm a math nerd). It turns out that I REALLY enjoy answering math questions. So, I answered a few... and have sort of become hooked on it. Something that's also cool (though obviously not worth the time you would spend answering questions) is that every time you answer a question you get "karma points" which you can used to buy everything from membership on the site up, to an iPod shuffle, all the way up to a Sony PS3 or a Sony laptop. So someday I suppose I might have enough points to get something tangible out of it, but really I am just having a blast answering math questions.

Anyhow, they have math (split into several categories), Science (split into Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and Engineering (split into Civil, Computer Science, Electrical and Mechanical).

I'm not sure that any of you share my particular illness, but I figured I would share what has consumed far too much of my time of late.

-=(Lord Crosis)=-

Password:

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.