Loading...Loading...

moonrockreptiles Rules of Conduct

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Safari 3.0 beta...

Posted By: Lord Crosis (209.193.10.21)
Date: Monday, 11 June 2007, at 4:59 p.m.

Just figured I would mention that I now consider this to be easily the best browser for OS X. First they fixed two long-standing and massively irritating bugs, and second they finally figured out what threading is.

The first bug was Safari shifting focus from the window or tab you are using to a freshly loaded site. This wasn't a universal problem, but happened with certain websites. If you are running a version of Safari older than 3.0 and have somehow never encountered this issue, you can see it by logging into Gmail, but before it is finished loading, switch to another window or tab. As soon as Gmail loads it will steal focus. Massively irritating, and now it is fixed.

The second bug was Safari letting you close a window with many tabs without warning you that it is closing more than 1 tab. There are so many times that I mindlessly closed a window forgetting that I had other tabs open in it.

Finally Safari used to be almost impossible for me to use because if you had more than a few sites open, or if one site was doing something like loading a Java applet, the entire application would lock up until it was finished doing what it was doing. So you switch to Camino (or whatever your preferred alternative Mac OS X web browser is) and continue surfing. Today with Safari 3.0 I had over 100 tabs, each with a different site loaded, many of which contained Java, Javascript, Flash, Quicktime etc. I was switching between them, clicking links, playing movies, starting Java games, anything I could think of that might make Safari so busy that it would lock up. Even at these extremes Safari only showed my the beach ball a few times, and those few times it was only for a couple seconds.

Nice work, Apple, and more specifically I assume, David Hyatt.

I also like the new "Find" feature, but I'm a little irritated that Apple decided to replace Java buttons with thinner funnier looking aqua buttons. Case-in-point is Gmail again.

-=(Lord Crosis)=-

Password:

Messages In This Thread

• Safari 3.0 beta...
    Lord Crosis (209.193.10.21) -- Monday, 11 June 2007, at 4:59 p.m.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later,
please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):

Password:

If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

moonrockreptiles Forum is maintained by moonrockreptiles Administrators with WebBBS 5.12.

Web Design for the 21st Century

Site Designed/Edited/Published by Jason Buck and Stephan Jones- Apple, Mac, Macintosh, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple, any other trademarks used are property of their respective owners - © 2001 Jason Buck and Stephan Jones. All rights reserved. Neither all or part may be reproduced or distributed without prior consent, including this copyright notice. Contact Us.